Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Time To Say Goodbye

As this is my final post, I would like to reflect on my posts and what I have learned. While most of my posts are negative and identify the threats of censorship and social media, I would like to make this clear that I do not think that technology is bad. However, we do need to be cautious of anything new.


Am I addicted to my phone...?

I think I am very reliant on my phone. Without it, I would not wake up on time, nor would I know what time it was. I would not remember any phone numbers or even my social security number. Analyzing the threats of technology has taught me to reflect on my own experience with the impact. 

I will say that after researching and having a better understanding of the impact of social media, I now do not use it as much. I have studied the threats to society through social media platforms and it scared me. Clearly, it has not scared me enough because I still use it occasionally. I would be lying if I didn't say that my life is making it impossible to get off of technology. If I continue on the career path that I am on, I need to know my way around social media. However, I am now better off as I recognize the impacts that technology has on my life. 

Are you addicted to your phone...?

Let's be honest here. Most of you are addicted to your phones. According to Reviews.org, 75.4% of Americans are addicted to their phones. You might not know it and you might be like me, you don't want to admit it. The fact is that you are addicted to technology and love that you can carry your device with you, wherever you go. Sometimes you might put it down or leave it at home, but you recognize when it is gone and you may even panic.

Our society has made us become addicted to our phones, social media, and all technology because it has proven to be very useful. We should always recognize our need to rely on such a new advancement. This doesn't mean we should stop using technology, it just means that we should be cautious and realistic of potential threats.

What is your digital footprint?


When I was growing up, my parents were a little later to the game than most of my friends' parents. That meant that I didn't get an iPhone until eighth grade (which is still very early). Once getting a phone, I was at liberty to do as I pleased. My parents always emphasized the need to post content that was appropriate and nothing less. 

Who actually listened to that?

Of course, I posted things that were embarrassing but luckily, not illegal. After high school and four years of college, I have tried everything possible to make my online presence personal but acceptable to an employer. After Google-ing myself, I think I did a great job. People always make mistakes. If I were to go into politics or become a celebrity, I may have to try harder to clean up my digital footprint. For what I want to do and who I want to be, I am at peace with how my footprint reflects who I truly am. Don't be naive to the publicity of your personal internet data. It is out there and is able to be accessed very easily. 

To all who took the time to read my posts, thank you. I have enjoyed the ability to write out my thoughts and contribute to the marketplace of ideas. This platform has allowed me to present ideas that are polarizing societies. In this space, I wanted to spark thought and reflection. I hope that one day, we can all share our ideas without the fear of isolation (or being canceled). I am excited for the day when we all have the ability to share the good, the bad, the silly, and the questionable. As John Mill would say... the truth will prevail. I hope we can discuss all ideas with an open mind, a respectful thought process, and cognitive responses that encourage the formation of further ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time To Say Goodbye

As this is my final post, I would like to reflect on my posts and what I have learned. While most of my posts are negative and identify the ...